Quotations about Running

I always loved running... it was something you could do by yourself, and under your own power.  You could go in any direction, fast or slow as you wanted, fighting the wind if you felt like it, seeking out new sights just on the strength of your feet and the courage of your lungs.  ~Jesse Owens


Jogging is very beneficial.  It's good for your legs and your feet.  It's also very good for the ground.  It makes it feel needed.  ~Charles Schulz, Peanuts


The only reason I would take up jogging is so that I could hear heavy breathing again.  ~Erma Bombeck


Most people run a race to see who is fastest.  I run a race to see who has the most guts.  ~Steve Prefontaine


You don’t run against a bloody stop watch, do you hear?  A runner runs against himself, against the best that's in him.  Not against a dead thing of wheels and pulleys.  That's the way to be great, running against yourself.  Against all the rotten mess in the world.  Against God, if you’re good enough.  ~Bill Persons


To a runner, a side stich is like a car alarm.  It signifies something is wrong, but you ignore it until it goes away.  ~Author Unknown


I don't jog.  If I die I want to be sick.  ~Abe Lemmons


It's unnatural for people to run around the city streets unless they are thieves or victims.  It makes people nervous to see someone running.  I know that when I see someone running on my street, my instincts tell me to let the dog go after him.  ~Mike Royko


Only think of two things - the gun and the tape.  When you hear the one, just run like hell until you break the other.  ~Sam Mussabini


The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass.  ~Martin Mull


Finland has produced so many brilliant distance runners because back home it costs $2.50 a gallon for gas.  ~Esa Tikkannen, 1979


Blink and you miss a sprint.  The 10,000 meters is lap after lap of waiting.  Theatrically, the mile is just the right length - beginning, middle, end: a story unfolding.  ~Sebastian Coe


There are as many reasons for running as there are days in the year, years in my life.  But mostly I run because I am an animal and a child, an artist and a saint.  So, too, are you.  Find your own play, your own self-renewing compulsion, and you will become the person you are meant to be.  ~George Sheehan


If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken Him completely by surprise.  ~P.Z. Pearce


If you want to live, you must walk. If you want to live long, you must run. ~Jinabhai Navik


Everyone who has run knows that its most important value is in removing tension and allowing a release from whatever other cares the day may bring.  ~Jimmy Carter


My feet have several thousand meetings scheduled with the dirt on a trail not far from here.  Who am I to keep them waiting?  Time to run.  ~Jeb Dickerson, www.howtomatter.com


The difference between a jogger and a runner is an entry blank.  ~George Sheehan


There is an itch in runners.  ~Arnold Hano


I believe that the Good Lord gave us a finite number of heartbeats and I'm damned if I'm going to use up mine running up and down a street.  ~Neil Armstrong on jogging, in an interview with Walter Cronkite


I don't think jogging is healthy, especially morning jogging.  If morning joggers knew how tempting they looked to morning motorists, they would stay home and do sit-ups.  ~Rita Rudner


Runners just do it - they run for the finish line even if someone else has reached it first.  ~Author Unknown
Copyright © Kata-Kata Mutiara