Quotations about Jewelry

The pearl is the queen of gems and the gem of queens.  ~Author Unknown


Jewelry takes people's minds off your wrinkles.  ~Sonja Henie


These gems have life in them:  their colors speak, say what words fail of.  ~George Eliot


I have always felt a gift diamond shines so much better than one you buy for yourself.  ~Mae West


There is in them a softer fire than the ruby, there is the brilliant purple of the amethyst, and the sea green of the emerald - all shining together in incredible union.  Some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.  ~Pliny, about the opal


I never worry about diets.  The only carrots that interest me are the number of carats in a diamond.  ~Mae West


There are worlds in an opal.  ~Terri Guillemets


Perhaps time's definition of coal is the diamond.  ~Kahlil Gibran


As though pure white snow flashed and sparkled with the color of bright ruddy wine, and was overcome by this radiance.  ~Author unknown, about opal


Don't ever wear artistic jewelry; it wrecks a woman's reputation.  ~Colette, Gigi, 1944, translated


No gold-digging for me; I take diamonds!  We may be off the gold standard someday.  ~Mae West


This diamond has so many carats it's almost a turnip.  ~Richard Burton


I really think that American gentlemen are the best after all, because kissing your hand may make you feel very very good but a diamond and a sapphire bracelet lasts forever.  ~Anita Loos


Gold! gold! gold! gold!
Bright and yellow, hard and cold!
~Thomas Hood


The jeweler allows me to wear the sapphire blue lake on my finger, the emerald green leaves around my neck, and take the citrine sunset with me wherever I go.  Jewelry has become my daytime link to nature in an office with no windows.  And if I have to work late, there's nothing like diamond stars and a pearl full moon against an onyx night sky.  ~Astrid Alauda, "Office With No Windows"


My husband gave me a necklace.  It's fake.  I requested fake.  Maybe I'm paranoid, but in this day and age, I don't want something around my neck that's worth more than my head.  ~Rita Rudner


Diamonds are only chunks of coal,
That stuck to their jobs, you see.
~Minnie Richard Smith, "Stick to Your Job"


The hues of the opal, the light of the diamond, are not to be seen if the eye is too near.  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson


Rich and rare were the gems she wore,
And a bright gold ring on her hand she bore.
~Thomas Moore


Let us not be too particular.  It is better to have old second-hand diamonds than none at all.  ~Mark Twain


October's child is born for woe,
And life's vicissitudes must know;
But lay an Opal on her breast,
And hope will lull those woes to rest.
~Author Unknown


Now the melancholy God protect thee, and the tailor make thy garments of changeable taffeta, for thy mind is opal.  ~William Shakespeare, The Twelfth Night


With melted opals for my milk,
Pearl-leaf for my cracker.
~Gwendolyn Brooks


Posy and pearls
Amethyst and gold
Forever you and I
Our precious love to hold.
~Astrid Alauda


The three rings of marriage are the engagement ring, the wedding ring, and the suffering.  ~Author Unknown


But not gold in commercial quantities,
Just enough gold to make the engagement rings
And marriage rings of those who owned the farm.
What gold more innocent could one have asked for?
~Robert Frost


I think men who have a pierced ear are better prepared for marriage.  They've experienced pain and bought jewelry.  ~Rita Rudner



For years it has done its job.  It has led me not into temptation.  It has reminded my husband numerous times at parties that it's time to go home.  It has been a source of relief to a dinner companion.  It has been a status symbol in the maternity ward.  ~Erma Bombeck, about her wedding ring


A woman wears her tears like jewelry.  ~Author Unknown


Flowers that are so pathetic in their beauty, frail as the clouds, and in their coloring as gorgeous as the heavens, had through thousands of years been the heritage of children - honored as the jewelry of God....  ~Thomas De Quincey


emerald as heavy
as a golf course, ruby as dark
as an afterbirth,
diamond as white as sun
on the sea...
~Anne Sexton


Mysterious opals contain the wonders of the skies - sparkling rainbows, fireworks, and lightning, shifting and moving in their depths.  ~Author Unknown


The difference between false memories and true ones is the same as for jewels:  it is always the false ones that look the most real, the most brilliant.  ~Salvador Dalí


Among Life's precious jewels,
Genuine and rare,
The one that we call friendship
Has worth beyond compare.
~Author Unknown


For me the diamond dawns are set
In rings of beauty...
~John Townsend Trowbridge


If my love to you can't be said in a posy, it can't be said in a library.  ~Grey Livingston


The questions are diamonds you hold in the light.  Study a lifetime and you see different colors from the same jewel.  The same questions, asked again, bring you just the answers you need just the minute you need them.  ~Richard Bach, Running From Safety


Adversity is the diamond dust Heaven polishes its jewels with.  ~Thomas Carlyle


Our love is a posy
Encircling our lives.
~Grey Livingston


The story of Harold Ross, the New Yorker and me is a mere footnote to the story of our time, and we might as well face the truth that to researchers of the future, poking about among the ruins of time, we shall all be tiny glitters.  But then, so are diamonds.  ~James Thurber


Some asked me where the rubies grew,
And nothing I did say;
But with my finger pointed to
The lips of Julia.
~Robert Herrick


The rarest things in the world, next to a spirit of discernment, are diamonds and pearls.  ~Jean de la Bruyere, translated from French


The earth is like a beautiful bride who needs no manmade jewels to heighten her loveliness.  ~Kahlil Gibran


Poesy engraved on the ring
Love engraved on my heart.
~Astrid Alauda


It was as though he had cut up the sky, melted down a flower garden, tossed in some jewels and made it into glass.  ~Hugh McKean, this is not referring to jewelry but to Tiffany's glass


Some men's memory is like a box where a man should mingle his jewels with his old shoes.  ~George Savile


Hamlet:  Is this a prologue, or the posy of a ring?
Ophelia:  'Tis brief, my lord.
Hamlet:  As woman's love.
~William Shakespeare, Hamlet


Gold cannot be pure, and people cannot be perfect.  ~Chinese Proverb


I would rather be adorned by beauty of character than jewels.  Jewels are the gift of fortune, while character comes from within.  ~Titus Maccius Plautus


Not on one strand are all life's jewels strung.  ~William Morris


If wisdom and diamonds grew on the same tree we could soon tell how much men loved wisdom.  ~Lemuel K. Washburn, Is The Bible Worth Reading And Other Essays, 1911


Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without.  ~Chinese Proverb


Brief as the posy
Briefer yet my time
on earth with you.
Marry me.
~Grey Livingston


When we long for life without difficulties, remind us that oaks grow strong in contrary winds and diamonds are made under pressure.  ~Peter Marshall


These words dropped into my childish mind as if you should accidentally drop a ring into a deep well.  I did not think of them much at the time, but there came a day in my life when the ring was fished up out of the well, good as new.  ~Harriet Beecher Stowe, Old Town Folks, 1869


Diamonds are a girl's best friend and a man's worst enemy.  ~Author Unknown


Guard well your spare moments.  They are like uncut diamonds.  Discard them and their value will never be known.  Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life.  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson


I had very good dentures once.  Some magnificent gold work.  It's the only form of jewelry a man can wear that women fully appreciate.  ~Graham Greene


I'd rather have roses on my table than diamonds on my neck.  ~Emma Goldman


Do not judge from mere appearances; for the lift laughter that bubbles on the lip often mantles over the depths of sadness, and the serious look may be the sober veil that covers a divine peace and joy.  The bosom can ache beneath diamond brooches; and many a blithe heart dances under coarse wool.  ~Edwin Hubbel Chapin


I've been on a constant diet for the last two decades.  I've lost a total of 789 pounds.  By all accounts, I should be hanging from a charm bracelet.  ~Erma Bombeck


But I do mean to say, I have heard her declare,
When at the same moment she had on a dress
Which cost five hundred dollars, and not a cent less,
And jewelry worth tem times more, I should guess,
That he had not a thing in the wide world to wear!
~William Allen Butler, "Nothing to Wear"


A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a witty person, but a pebble in the hands of a fool.  ~Author Unknown


There are many sham diamonds in this life which pass for real, and vice versa.  ~William Makepeace Thackeray


My crown is in my heart, not in my head,
Nor decked with diamonds and Indian stones,
Nor to be seen; my crown is called contentment;
A crown it is, that seldom kings enjoy.
~William Shakespeare


I don't want to own anything until I know I've found the place where me and things belong together.  I'm not quite sure where that is just yet.  But I know what it's like.... It's like Tiffany's.... Not that I give a hoot about jewelry.  Diamonds, yes.  But it's tacky to wear diamonds before you're forty...  ~Truman Capote, Breakfast at Tiffany's, 1958, spoken by the character Holly Golightly


I prefer liberty to chains of diamonds.  ~Mary Worley Montagu


Many individuals have, like uncut diamonds, shining qualities beneath a rough exterior.  ~Juvenal


Manners must adorn knowledge and smooth its way in the world, without them it is like a great rough diamond, very well in a closet by way of curiosity, and also for its intrinsic value; but most prized when polished.  ~Lord Chesterfield


In the age of acorns, before the times of Ceres, a single barley-corn had been of more value to mankind than all the diamonds of the mines of India.  ~Henry Brooke


Give crowns and pounds and guineas
But not your heart away;
Give pearls away and rubies,
But keep your fancy free.
~A.E. Housman


There are three things extremely hard:  steel, a diamond, and to know one's self.  ~Benjamin Franklin


Proverbs are mental gems gathered in the diamond districts of the mind.  ~William R. Alger


The countless gold of a merry heart,
The rubies and pearls of a loving eye,
The indolent never can bring to the mart,
Nor the secret hoard up in his treasury.
~William Blake


It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver.  ~Mahatma Gandhi


Clasp my love around your neck,
Wear my heart on your finger.
My soul will be your pendant:
I live to adorn you -
You're the precious one.
~Grey Livingston, "Genuine Adoration"


Why is it that men can be bastards and women must wear pearls and smile?  ~Lynn Hecht Schafren


All art is autobiographical; the pearl is the oyster's autobiography.  ~Federico Fellini


She is mine own,
And I as rich in having such a jewel
As twenty seas, if all their sand were pearl,
The water nectar, and the rocks pure gold.
~William Shakespeare


In diving to the bottom of pleasure we bring up more gravel than pearls.  ~Honore de Balzac


The most precious jewels are not made of stone, but of flesh.  ~Robert Ludlum

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © Kata-Kata Mutiara